The Coronasity (A Companion Read-Along)
The Coronasity
There is no particular
reason that this is the first song on this list, brought forth from
boredom and love of descending 7ths, other than the fact it was the
first thing that popped on my Spotify. Big choruses and hits me right
in the old man, emo, heart-strings. (PS the video is in brail.
Counter productive but looks cool.)
2. Bilmuri – Fuck, I'm Lonely
Ft. Dayseeker (VIA Lauv & Anne-Marie)
I mean, come on. The
original is gold. Then you let Johnny Franck get his hands on it. A
heavier but still relevant sentiment in our current times. Also shout
out to Anne-Marie's work with Rudimental.
3. Oso Oso – The Plant Mouth
At first listen I was hit
with an early Sloan vibe. But just wait for the drop into the chorus.
Heartwrenching much? All the feels, with a fitting resolution.
4. Macseal – Cats
In all honesty, a new band
and track for me but come on, it's called Cats. With
it's pitchy first line, “This is the second night, I should be
getting ready but I'm watching Always Sunny.”
Boom! Sold! “Shedding my layers cause I finally need to leave. This
3 month curse plagues everything I use to be.”
5. Antarcticgo
Vespucci – Freakin' U Out
Again
another new, rad track and band that has me spinning. Vaguely
Pup/Hollerado-esque. “I hop I'm not freaking you out. I didn't get
a lot of sleep last night.”
6. Basement – Be Here Now
Social
isolation sucks. On top of that, even alone, it can be hard to be
present; even scarier when you actually can be.
7. Saves
The Day – Saves The Day
Those
who know me, would expect me to chose a different track from my
favourite band. However, sometimes you just got to turn it up,
“cause it's Saves The Day!”
8. Two
Tongues – Crawl
You
can't have an STD track without a little colab' with Max Bemis. Two
of my favourite lyricists creating a classic.
9. Say
Anything – Yellow Cat Slash Red Cat
Finally,
the last part of the trilogy. Max using a maybe not so subtly cat
analogy. “These are my friends, this is where they have been for
always. These are my days, this is how they stay.”
10. Weatherbox
– Atoms Smash
I
put this on the list for two reasons. I love this song and I feel
like this band never truly got the love they deserved.
11. Cavetown
– This Is Home
I
was going to list his track I Miss My Mum
but I didn't want to be a complete downer. You can trust that
Cavetown will always hit you with a great, grungy outro.
12. Roy
Blair – Alex
Originally
I wanted to use the song Dennis
but honestly I have overplayed it. This song is still a banger!
13. Waterparks
– Turbulent
Ok,
Ok. Enough of with the pop, boy-band, neo-emo, right? Just one more
please. I had to toss this into the mix for the drum and bass alone.
Plus, “I'd unfuck you if I could.” Great lyric.
14. Frank
Ocean – Thinkin' Bout You
This
is the part in the mix where I 180 and go from “I'd unfuck you,”
to “I've been thinking bout you, do you think about me still?”
15. Moneen
– If Tragedy Is Appealing, Then Disaster Is An Addiction
What
can I say about the band I opened for, playing my first out of town
show in the big city of Cobourg? Whether I was trying to emulate
Kenny's spastic guitar/stage antics or later lifting drum licks from
Chris thoughtful and intricate style; Moneen will always have a huge
space in my heart. Lyrically this song seems so relate-able in our
present circumstances.
16. Turnover
– New Scream
Ok,
let's be honest, at least one or two of these songs will be in
reference to Kassandra Martin. However, the lyrical content is
easily projected on our current state of being. “Can I reset my
brain? If not I'll go insane.”
17. Touche
Amore – Home Away From Here
“I'm
growing older but I can't get over the need for colder skin when I
know that home is warmer...This place looks better from a passenger
window, or stared at from up above.”
18. Comeback
Kid – Little Soldier
Again,
multiple reasons for including Andrew and the gang on this list.
First, this song is a B-side! Why? Second, it is catchy as hell.
Third and last, the first verse fits so perfectly in reference to
Trump and his actions right now.
19. Sights
& Sounds – Resurface
You
can't mention one Neufeld without including the other. This is my
favourite drum part that Joel or really anyone has ever put out.
20. Devin
Townsend Project – Kingdom
So
not really related to our current state but the majority of musical
Canadians can easily say that Devin is on of the best
producer/guitarist/vocalist ever! Also he produced Sights &
Sounds.
21. Polyphia
– Goose
“The
PoPo think its water.” This music video broke my brain. As well,
this song is titled Goose. I just think that is funny. Some of the
most technical music out there. The W6rst crushes guitar.
22. The
Lucky Ones – Great Minds (Drink Alike)
What
can I say? It is a song about drinking and it is a band I had the
privilege of playing in. P.S. Steve Stumble, where are my potatoes?
23. Silverchair
– Minor Threat
My
first big concert was Handsome opening for Local H opening for
Silverchair. The latter of which played this song. Not that I was a
stranger to punk rock at this time but this opened up a whole new
world of bands for me.
24. Turnstile
– Real Thing
I
avoided this band forever. Why? I hate when people tell me how great
something is and that I have to hear it. My friends were like, “You
love Nirvana, you love Snapcase, you love tasty basslines. You will
LOVE TURNSTILE!
25. Handsome
– Dim The Lights
Looking
back at that first, real concert I attended, welcome Handsome (not
Handson). Composed of members from Helmet, Quicksand, and Cro-Mags.
The only released on album but that piece of art is flawless. Not a
bad song in the bunch.
26. Teenage
Wrist – Mary
When
I first heard this song it was in multiples. I could not stop
repeating it. Great pre-chorus and chorus. Super catchy.
27. Deftones
– Hexagram
What
can I say. We all love Deftones. They are like the chilled out
version of Messuggah. Some of the biggest sounds in rock music out
there. Also I am glad that Chino is ok after seeing him get
electrocuted at the 1996 Warped Tour
28. Glassjaw
– Radio Cambodia
So
I debated which Glassjaw song I was going to include. I was going to
go a bit more chill but all those songs are about relationships.
This song always hit me in a different way. Also great outro.
29. Headautomatica
– Beating Heart Baby
You
can't include Daryl Palumbo if you aren't going to include his
rock-dance outfit, Head Automatica. I threw this in here for a lil'
dance break, so get up and shake what the good lord gave ya!
30. At
The Drive In – Pattern Against User
I
threw an inadvertent house party the I got this album. Suffice it to
say I got in trouble, as well as the emergency room. DO NOT try and
emulate Marty Mcfly while skateboarding. The next morning I woke up
in Montreal though, so not all bad.
31. Sparta
– Air
“Do
you remember the days?”
32. Rival
Schools – Good Things
Between
this and choosing a good Jonah song, I really struggled. Most people
would gravitate towards the track, Travel By Telephone.
However, right now we need good things. “Good things are coming
our way.”
33. Far
– Mother Mary
Now
for Jonah. For me this was the track. Prolific lyricist, as proven
by my next track.
34. Onelinedrawing
– Stay
One
of the most beautiful and seamless transitions from 4/4 to 3/4
timing. Elliot Smith would be stoked.
35. Elliot
– Drive Onto Me
Part
two to my trip to the emergency room. I grabbed this album the say
day I got ATDI. Fun fact, this is supposedly Dallas Green's
favourite band.
36. Rudimental
– Rumour Mill
Obviously
not about “fake news” but made me think about all the
misinformation that is currently floating around. Be critical
thinkers people. Also this is a great showing of Anne-Marie's lush
vocals.
37. JME
– Work
For
all the front-line and essential workers out there keeping us
healthy and fed. Much love.
38. Twenty
One Pilots – Level Of Concern
Just
what the quarantine ordered. Leave it to Josh and Tyler to somehow
makes us feel ok in these uncertain times. Also another dance
banger!
39. Lil
Peep – I've Been Waiting
Basically
how I feel about outside right now. “I've been waiting long for
you. Now the time is right, you wanna do me so wrong.”
40. Enter
Shikari – Elegy For Extinction
Just
a beautiful instrumental off the boys brand new album, Nothing
Is True & Everything Is Possible.
Comments
Post a Comment